International Students

International Students

Logan University welcomes students from all over the world to become the next generation of health care providers.

  • Application Process

    An international student seeking admission to Logan University must provide the following documentation in addition to the admission requirements:

    Proficiency in English. TOEFL scores of 500 or better on paper-based exams or 79 on the iBT® Test are acceptable. A break-down of the subscores for the iBT Test are below:
    Writing: 18
    Listening: 21
    Reading: 21
    Speaking: 19

    As an alternative to TOEFL, iELTS scores of 6.5 or better are also accepted.

    If you are seeking university-level transfer credit for courses completed at an institution outside of the U.S. you must have your transcript evaluated by an accredited service such as WES.

    Submit evidence of having financial resources or funding commitment to complete a minimum of one year (12 months) of education.

    Submit official transcripts to the Office of Admissions for evaluation. It is sometimes necessary to utilize an outside evaluating agency in which case, the official evaluation by that agency should be sent in lieu of the original transcripts. Have the transcript(s) sent to Logan University, Office of Admissions at 1851 Schoettler Road, Chesterfield, MO 63017

    Evidence of meeting all applicable legal requirements for study in the United States. It is recommended that the applicant submit all records at least six months prior to the requested date of matriculation.

  • Banking Information

    Most students find it helpful to open a bank account in the United States, as several banks offer free checking and Visa check cards. For our Canadian students, the Visa check cards are similar to Interact in Canada. It is usually necessary to first receive a Social Security Number and a state identification card before being eligible to set open an account, so please check accordingly. For students not interested in opening a U.S. bank account, please be aware that there is usually a charge for cashing international checks. An option for those students is to get a bank draft from their home country in U.S. funds (i.e., a certified check).

    Logan has a preferred relationship with Commerce Bank, which offers numerous banking branches throughout the St. Louis area. In addition, Commerce Bank has an ATM on campus for the convenience of our students.

  • Canadian Financial Assistance

    Canadian provincial loans are available through your province. Please contact the provincial office regarding possible funding through this program.

    Employment at Logan University is available to Canadian students beginning in the first trimester on campus. Depending on the availability of positions, you can work up to 20 hours per week on campus with an hourly rate ranging from minimum wage to $10 per hour. You will be paid every two weeks for hours worked. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 800-782-3344 or for more information.

  • Employment

    Students in F-1 status are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and full-time during vacation periods. Most on-campus jobs pay between minimum wage to $10 per hour. Paychecks are posted every two weeks.

    Students on an I-20 are not permitted to work off-campus (with the exception of OPT) and jeopardize their status by doing so.

    Optional Practical Training
    Optional practical training is available both before and after F-1 students graduate, once they have been in the United States and enrolled full-time for nine months in F-1 status. Optional Practical Training (OPT) is designed to strengthen the skills students have gained in their educational programs. Consequently, OPT must be directly related to the students' major field of study. Prior to completion of studies, OPT is limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session (full time during vacation periods). After students finish their studies, they may apply for full time OPT. Application for full-time OPT, post graduation, must be made prior to graduation. Complete instructions are available in the Registrar's Office.

    NOTE: Only 12 months of Optional Practical Training may be granted during students' entire course of study at each degree level. Careful planning is quite important so that work time is not wasted.

    Employment Based on Unforeseen Severe Economic Hardship
    Requires detailed, specific documentation of the hardship by the student. BCIS authorization is difficult to obtain. Please contact the Office of the Registrar at for more information.

  • Health Insurance

    The Office of Student Affairs has packets of information available on health insurance options. Canadian insurance (e.g. OHIP, etc) doesn't fully cover you. You need supplemental coverage. You only need basic accident insurance because you can receive many services at Logan.

  • Immigration and Visa Information

    Applicants for student visas usually apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country of their permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence.

    Canadian citizens do not need to obtain a visa before entering the U.S. They simply show their I-20 at the U.S. border, along with proof of Canadian citizenship. Upon entrance into the U.S., Canadian students should make sure to have their I-20 properly processed and to receive an I-94 card.

    Information about the U.S. consulate policies, procedures, and requirements can be obtained by clicking here.

  • SEVIS Fee

    International students will be required to pay a fee before issuance of a visa or admittance to the country.

    For more specific information, please click here.

    SEVIS I-901 Fee FAQ, click here.

  • Social Security Number

    Please see the Work Study Coordinator in Financial Aid for your Social Security authorization request letter verifying your eligibility to work on campus. For additional information see the Social Security website by clicking here.

    Preparing for your interview:
    Please take the following documents with you to the nearest Social Security Office:
    Authorization Letter from Financial Aid
    Birth Certificate or Passport

  • Transportation

    Most students find it necessary to have access to a car as the campus is not in close proximity to public transportation. For Canadian students that will be driving a car, it is recommended you keep your car registered in Canada as the state of Missouri has a relatively high registration fee. In addition, a valid Canadian driver's license is recognized, making it unnecessary to obtain a Missouri driver’s license. Some students find it helpful though to obtain a Missouri non-driver's license, also known as a state identification card. This can be done quite easily once you have obtained a Social Security card.

  • Travel Outside U.S. and Re-entry

    Most people with non-student visas face few if any restrictions on their travels. Students in F-1 status must request the signature of a Designated School Official (DSO) before leaving the United States if they wish to return. The student simply brings his/her I-20, to either the Office of Admissions or Office of the Registrar. Although the DSO’s signature is supposed to be good for up to one year, it is advisable to have the I-20 signed if the most recent signature is over six months old. Upon return, the student will present his/her passport (with valid visa) and the signed I-20 to the Department of Homeland Security at the Port of Entry. Readmission should be swift and simple.

  • U.S. Taxes

    Because of recent changes made in the U.S. Tax Code, everyone in F-1 status must file a tax return each year, regardless of whether or not he or she earned any income. Two forms must be filed -- Form 1040NR and Form 8843. It is essential to comply with tax reporting requirements. For information, click here.

Recently Visited Pages

Click the star to "favorite" a page and keep it at the top of your list of Visited Pages.