Dr. Gutweiler, Dr. Cranwell and Dr. Hillgartner discuss teaching at Logan for over 40 years

Drs. John Gutweiler, Richard Cranwell and Roy Hillgartner

Not many people can say they’ve taught at the same institution for more than 40 years. But at Logan, there are three who can: John Gutweiler, PhD; Roy Hillgartner, DC and Richard Cranwell, DC, MS, DABCN.

Over the years, the three faculty members have shared many things, such as having taught current president Dr. Clay McDonald and molding young minds to help shape the future of health care.

The three recently came together to discuss their past, the future and their proudest moment at Logan.

What was it like to come to Logan’s new Chesterfield campus in 1973? What has changed the most?

Cranwell: I was still a student at that time and was surprised by how rural Chesterfield was—cattle crossings, horses up and down the street, and the campus was surrounded by farms. In the 1970s, classrooms could include 17-year-old students who just graduated high school as well as PhDs returning on a GI bill and students who already earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees. There was a huge variety of students mixed together in classes. Some students graduated Logan before they were 21 and could not go into practice yet!

Hillgartner: At the time, there was some concern about how to get students to the Chesterfield campus because it was in the middle of nowhere. There were no apartments nearby for students to live in and not much infrastructure around it. Now, looking at our beautiful campus in a thriving suburb, surrounded by businesses, it’s hard to believe. The chiropractic student profile has also changed drastically. The character and personality of students has changed, too. In the early days, students were just here to become a chiropractor. Now there is much more awareness of the entrepreneurial side of the career.

Gutweiler: The evolution of the chiropractic profession has brought so many changes, including the assimilation of more science into the curriculum, which really blossomed in the 1980s and 1990s. Faculty has changed significantly and there has been more emphasis on credentialed and degreed faculty in a respective subject matter.

What keeps you motivated to continue teaching?

Hillgartner: Our passion for the profession. I live out my philosophies daily, and it doesn’t feel like work. I teach, I practice—I don’t work. This profession represents who I am, not what I do. I just can’t see myself doing anything else.

Cranwell: Teaching students how to use their hands; taking them from an unsure student to using their hands confidently and competently is thrilling. Being an instructor makes me a better practitioner, and being a practitioner makes me a better instructor; the two go hand in hand.

Gutweiler: Chemistry is a great story, and I like to tell it to students and help them understand how it all ties together. I was destined to be a commercial chemist. I never thought about teaching, but once I became an instructor, I was fascinated by it.

What is your proudest moment of the last 40 years?

Hillgartner: For me it’s the continuation of my work passed on to my son, who practices with me. We share a philosophy and a passion for this profession.

Cranwell: Achieving a 40-year anniversary makes me incredibly proud, in addition to the student and patient appreciation. Enabling students to be successful years later is rewarding. In addition, some of my patients have even donated money to Logan in my name, which makes me proud of the work I have devoted my life to doing.

Gutweiler: Learning how the knowledge I imparted to students has impacted their lives makes this a worthwhile experience.

Comments (8) -

• Patrick Coleman

8/31/2017 8:17:00 PM |

Loved all 3 of these guys as instructors. Very passionate about their work which really make a difference to the student.

• Darcy Brunk

9/2/2017 10:57:01 PM |

Great life changing instruction. Still solid Gonstead Dr Cranwell. Send a new recruit to Dallas.

• Dr. James McCoy

9/26/2017 10:05:08 AM |

I do know Dr. Cranwell and Logan College is fortunate to have him mentor and teach. Several trips to Logan over my career has been impressive and Dr. Cranwell has been exceptional!

• Rick McMichael, DC

9/26/2017 11:44:13 AM |

Great article about these dedicated Logan faculty members who have touched and shaped the lives of many students. Their love of Logan, passion for chiropractic and pride in being part of the Logan family is exemplary! My sons, Ryan and Aaron, are also graduates of Logan and just celebrated their 10th year in practice. The three of us send our congratulations and appreciation to Doctors Cranwell, Gutweiler and Hillgartner... may they enjoy many more years teaching Logan students to serve their patients and our profession with excellence.

• dr rich olree

9/27/2017 4:38:50 AM |

Had all three as teachers and they should be in the hall of fame!
    rich

• Glenn Manceaux, PT,DC

9/27/2017 7:21:47 AM |

All 3 of these men taught me and and when I reflect on my years at Logan during the 80's, they are an integral part of those memories. Very few schools can claim faculty with this longevity.  It is part of why Logan is so special among our chiropractic institutions.
    Congrats to Dr's Gutweiler, Cranwell and Hillgartner, from the Ragin Cajun.

• Lary Banks, DC

9/28/2017 1:27:08 AM |

I was part of the transition move from Normandy to Chesterfield and had 2 of the 3 teachers, Dr. Gutweiler and Dr. Hillgartner.  It was an exciting time for Logan students and faculty.   I especially enjoyed both teachers, Dr. Gutweiler with a great sense of humor and Dr Hillgartner, who helped me understand what it took to be a successful Chiropractor, and especially those challenging Tennis games we played after class.

• Robin Moores

10/1/2017 6:37:05 PM |

I was in the same class with "Ragin Cajun" above and had all three also. My favorite class by far was Biochemistry with Dr Gutweiler (Organic being my favorite in college). He often chided us: just what exactly were these "toxins" we Chiropractors were always disparaging! I thought he was great. I finally got the hang of adjusting with Dr Cranwell, but Dr Hillgartner's advice didn't seem to be enough to keep me financially solvent as I felt too sorry for patients, first being sick then having to pay for it! I moved to Cambridge, MA to study philosophy to see if we could improve on the Philosophy of Chiropractic! I actually still have ALL of my class notes from the '80s all nicely bound in black comb binders if anyone needs to review anything!

Recently Visited Pages

Click the star to "favorite" a page and keep it at the top of your list of Visited Pages.