Oct 21 – Dec 17, 2020
All Day Event
- This event has passed.
Radiology for the Non-Radiologist | The Lumbar Spine
This course will focus on the clinician’s role in the utilization of imaging modalities with a focus on the lumbar spine. Emphasis will be on ordering a diagnostic study consistent with clinical suspicion, choosing the most appropriate imaging modality, improving interpretation skills, and developing effective teamwork in the diagnostic process. The course will review the nomenclature used in the radiologist report pertaining to disc pathology. The clinician will develop an approach to interpreting skeletal radiographs to maintain his/her radiologic skills. This course is expected to result in improved competence in making appropriate diagnoses with the overall goal of improving patient outcomes.
Review of plain film radiography of lumbar spine (.5 hours)
- Review clinical indications for imaging of lumbar spine;
- Develop an understanding of how the patient is positioned to improve interpretation;
- Method of interpretation (over-reading) of the lumbar spine imaging studies.
Review of MRI of lumbar spine and clinical indications (1 hour)
- Review clinical indications for MR imaging of lumbar spine;
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of MRI;
- Method of interpretation (over-reading) of the lumbar MR imaging studies.
Nomenclature and classification of disc pathology (1 hour)
- Understanding the standard terms for normal and pathologic conditions of lumbar discs;
- Improve communication between radiologist and clinician for optimal management and therapeutic decision-making
NCMIC Information: Full-time D.C.s get a yearly 5% Risk Management discount from NCMIC for three consecutive policy years for attending a qualified seminar. 8 hours of qualified instruction is required and must be obtained within one year. Seminars of less than 8 hours will require that the D.C.s contact NCMIC once they have accrued the full 8 hours. Seminar discounts earned up to 30 days after the policy renewal date will apply immediately; those earned 30+ days after the renewal date will apply at the next policy renewal date. Part-time D.C.s are eligible to receive half this discount.