Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Submitted by John Parish
1 (16 ounce) can No Added Salt Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon (8 g) chili powder
1 tablespoon (6 g) cumin
1 teaspoon (5 ml) hot sauce
1/2 cup (55 g) bread crumbs
If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and spray a sheet of aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg whites, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 300 mg
Carbs: 33 g
Fiber: 9.8 g
Protein: 11.2 g